I never imagined that things could become this complicated when traveling. It seems that some folks are doing the whole thing wrong. Disrespecting travel destinations is not cool. It only seems fair, right?
To avoid: puking on the streets (yes, this one right here), being rude, bullying the locals, disrespecting laws, etc. We should follow these simple rules that Nomadic Matt put on paper, as a small manifesto. One can only imagine the atrocities behind these topics. Incredible...
- I will read about where I’m going before I get there.
- I will be respectful of local cultures and customs.
- I will eat the local food.
- I will learn some phrases in the local language.
- I will try one thing I’m afraid of.
- I will not turn cheapness into a competition, since travel is not a race to the bottom.
- I will not haggle over less than a dollar.
- I will not be a loud, obnoxious traveler that demands that locals conform to my values.
- I will have patience.
- I will be humble.
There 16 more of these! Head over to Nomadic Matt's post and read what he has to say. For us, this is pure public service, ready to save to PDF... Joking. We just need to have a big and polite heart when traveling. Doesn't seem hard, right?!
Have a nice travel!